Twitter

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I made a trip to the Magic Mile yesterday

What and where is the Magic Mile you ask? Well, it's a strip of establishments that sell lottery tickets and scratch offs about 20 miles from the Alabama state line.

Yep, me and thousands of Alabamians trekked on over the state line and spent our own damn money in Tennessee buying Mega Millions lottery tickets, helping the Tennessee Education system and putting money in their coffers. Not only did I purchase lottery tickets, but also gas, food and did a some tax free shopping, thanks to the good old Christian (cough), Compassionate (cough), Conservatives (cough) Alabama anti gambling bots.

I purchased lottery tickets two at a time from five different vendors. The parking lot had more Alabama license plates than any other state including Tennessee. Those who argue against the lottery say it's a tax on poor blacks, which is a back door way of saying they are not only black and poor, but they are stupid too, and will spend their welfare checks gambling instead of paying their bills.

Well you know what? I didn't see one identifiably poor black person at any of my stops. As a matter of fact there were more white people driving nice cars and trucks buying lottery tickets than black people. I laughed out loud when I saw the McCain/Palin Stickers and the Confederate Flag license plates on some of the automobiles.

I wasn't one of the two lucky winners of the $350 Mega Million jackpot, but if you don't play you sure can't win. I dream of the day when I can gamble with my own damn money in my own damn state.

3 comments:

Dale Jackson said...

You have a better odds of marrying a Terrorist than a lottery being created in Alabama... whoops you did marry a Terrorist...

Redeye said...

Whoops! I see they kicked you off Left in Alabama so you decided to bring your terrorism over here. Have fun playing with yourself.

Redeye said...

Whoops typo! Should read, have fun terroizing yourself. :)