Twitter

Friday, November 22, 2013

"I want them to see what they've done" Jacqueline Kennedy

Related image

I was in the second grade on 11.22.1963 when the principal  announced over the intercom  President Kennedy had been shot. I didn't find out he died until I got home. The days that followed were very sad, I remember feeling sorry for Carolyn, John John, and Jackie Kennedy. I also remember feeling scared for the leaders who tried to help African Americans.  Sure enough, then came the assassinations of Martin Luther King,Jr, and Robert Kennedy Jr

My ancestors lived through 400 years of torture/slavery,  my generation lived through domestic terrorism/Jim Crow,  my children are living through Trayvon Martin, Sean Bell, Oscar Grant, Jordan Russell Davis, Renisha McBride and other victims of senseless  violence.
In June 1963, President Kennedy promoted civil rights as the governor of Alabama blocked integration of the University of Alabama.
“Today, we are committed to a worldwide struggle to promote and protect the rights of all who wish to be free,” the president said in a speech. “And when Americans are sent to Vietnam or West Berlin, we do not ask for whites only.”
 Will we ever live in the land of liberty and justice for all, or is it just a slogan?  Time will tell the truth.

No comments: