Twitter

Sunday, April 19, 2015

"This is my country, Land of my birth"

How can society expect black boys to become men when parents have to give them a disempowering narrative like this?




If Trayvon Martin had been white and George Zimmerman were black. If you don't understand how deeply and viciously racist has been the official and right-wing reaction to the murder of Trayvon Martin, all you have to do is consider what would have been the official and right-wing reaction had the races of Martin and his killer been reversed. 
 I pledge thee my allegiance, America, the bold,
For this is my country to have and to hold.
What diff'rence if I hail from North or South
Or from the East or West?
My heart is filled with love for all of these.
I only know I swell with pride and deep within my breast
I thrill to see Old Glory paint the breeze.
With hand upon heart I thank the Lord For this my native land,
For all I love is here within her gates.
My sould is rooted deeply in the soil on which I stand,
For these are mine own United States.
This is my country! Land of my choice!
This is my country! Hear my proud voice!
I pledge thee my allegiance, America, the bold,
For this is my country! To have and to hold.
Eye Weep for My Country.

No comments: