Twitter

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bummer, I'm Banned Again!

A funny thing happens when I try to log on to Left in Alabama, I can't. I know cats are supposed to be fickle but this is ridiculous! First I was banned, then I was un-banned, now I'm banned again. My offense this time? To para quote President Harry S. Truman, I don't give em hell, I tell it like it is and they tell me to go STFU and go to hell. Daring to speak truth to power is a banning offense at the progressive blog for a new direction in Alabama politics. I guess it depends on what the definition of "a new direction" IS. *Sigh*

In response to Almoderates diary Why On Earth Should I Vote for Ron Sparks, mooncat posted Of Candidates and Car Sales, making the comparison of a customer and a car salesman in an attempt to effectively persuade someone to your point of view. I say that is a false comparison. If a customer is in a car dealership they are probably going to buy a car so they don't have to be persuaded of anything, they are looking for the best deal. The customer knows how much they can afford to spend and the salesperson knows how much they have sell the car for. IF they have a meeting of the minds, they have a deal. If not they don't, regardless of how persuasive the salesperson is the purchaser cannot spend what they don't have.

I prefer to use the relationship between a homeowner and a roofing contractor to illustrate how to effectively persuade someone to my point of view. If you hire a contractor to repair your roof and they screw it up, do you let them tell the person you have to hire to fix their mess how to fix it? I don't think so.

archangelsk is right (pun intended) on point. Hard core democrats like us took the bait and fell for the trap, I share the blame for dragging the thread into the crapper. I will disagree with this point:

As much as I hate that my candidate did not make it through in the CD-7 race, I am going to support Terri Sewell, because she is a Democrat.
It's going to be hard for me to support Terri Sewell because she is a democrat in light of the fact she doesn't appear to have the same loyalty to the democratic party. Announcing she is not going to be a rubber stamp for the democratic President is not democratic.

I should have realized there was no way to persuade Almoderate to vote for Ron Sparks anymore than I could be persuaded to vote for Robert Bentley. A mind is a terrible thing to waste and a hard thing to change.

It's the candidates responsibility to sell themselves to voters not the other way around. Candidates need to articulate why on earth voters should vote for them. Let's hear from the Candidates not the bloggers and commenter's. Stop banning loyal, committed, democrats.

I wish that you would once just acknowledge the other side of the argument, the importance of those who are registered Dems, who are the party faithful, who are the true progressives and liberals.
Resident righty OP makes it personal in true gop style;
Finally people should remember this blog is widely read and thanks to the cats somewhat influential. Just think, if you were an undecided voter, and read the comments directed toward Almoderate by Sparks supporters - is that a group you want to be part of?

If so called undecided voters base their decisions to vote for or against a candidate because of comments directed toward Almoderate so be it. I'm not going to STFU because they MIGHT vote for my candidate.
As long as DEMOCRATS are afraid to be DEMOCRATS and afraid to stand up for DEMOCRATIC values and the DEMOCRATIC agenda, and continue to pander to the RIGHT who are so wrong on every issue, we "will continue to get nothing fixed.
And that's a fact.

countrycat says;
They'd rather bully people into shutting up than try to convince them that the GOP agenda is best for the country.
As she bully's me into shutting up rather than allowing me to convince them that the gop agenda is NOT what is best for our state or our country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can get Dale Jackson to lend you his password.

Redeye said...

LOL!