Twitter

Monday, July 19, 2010

My Liberal Rant

I am not a Progressive, I am a proud, card carrying, bleeding heart, tree hugging, Birkenstock wearing, LIBERAL big D Democrat. You got that?

The term "progressive" is today often used in place of "liberal." Why? Because republicans made liberal a dirty word. In an effort to appease the gop Liberals decided to call themselves progressives. Unfortunately the progressive brand has been hijacked by neo-liberals and corporatist dems.

H/T to Captain Plaid for Making It Plain!
I am libeRAL as I believe humanity can advance.

o Our civil liberties must be protected. No exceptions!

o I believe in the power of law. She’s not perfect and I’ve seen injustices, often related to power and poverty frankly. I’m very concerned with the burrowed in Federalist Society sorts on benches across this land. Our Alabama Supreme Court is largely bought and paid for by the Business Council of Alabama and other Big Mules like Alfa. The Court of Criminal Appeals used to be rather hostile to defense lawyers and I know for a fact they dodged a serious question I once raised in a brief.

o Lockean libertarians who recognize the need for social insurance and regulation were once celebrated yet are now having rocks thrown at them.

o I favor same-sex marriages or at least civil unions. Discrimination can hardly be tolerated as to a person’s sexual orientation.

o I had a person once tell me liberals believe people are inherently good. I'm not sure I buy that yet I do think many are. On some of the laggards, ignorant, … I occasionally think of how I used to work with critters by making it easy for them to do the right thing. Policies to prod, channel, and the like are OK for me but then again just help and a hug work on the face to face work I try to do. I know for a fact I helped some kids I taught or have known and likely could have done more if carrying a fair work load and able to really teach and represent.

o Education is an investment. We ought to be proud to spend money for our future generations.

o Clinton’s welfare “reform” sounded perhaps good on paper and was a winner politically yet only a booming economy avoided a train wreck. The costs of having those babies being taken from their mothers so she could do some type of “make work” is hard to measure but I bet there were and are costs.


mooncat says I am not typical of any democrat she knows
What is she thinking?

I begged readers to read the History: Democrats $ Republicans On Civil Rights and Equality which let me know what kind of democrat I'm not;
Conservative Democrats left the party in opposition to civil rights and became Republicans. After the Civil Rights law was signed into law, conservative Democrats left the party. Strom Thurmond, who ran as a segregationist in 1948, became a Republican, as did Jesse Helms (who went on to filibuster against making Martin Luther King Jr. day a federal holiday).


I'm not the kind of democrat who runs away from Nancy Pelosi and President Obama in an attempt to woo so called moderates/independents and other concern trolls.

I'm not the kind of democrat who jumps in bed with the Tea Party Gang.

I'm not the kind of democrat who says support my candidate/point of view or else.

I'm not the kind of democrat who falls for the Talking TeeVee Pundit Head spin

I'm the kind of democrat who is sick and tired of being bullied by the right wing because you know what? I really don't want to hear the other side.

So There!

No comments: