Twitter

Sunday, September 14, 2014

"My Committment to Social Justice Doesn't Mean I Hate White People"


I have always been good at making people feel uncomfortable by being extremely vocal about my views on political and social issues. This has also led to quite a few misunderstandings, especially with people not familiar with social justice praxis.

This post is for those who I've made feel uncomfortable about my passion for #SocialJustice.

If you never read another thing I post, please read and discuss this post by Michelle Denise Jackson, via the wonderful blog For Harriett.  It expresses my sentiments exactly.
There are many people in the world who believe that “social justice” equates to being anti-white, anti-wealth, and anti-male. (I’m not saying who those people are, but you can take a guess.) And if you dare try to have critical conversations about racism—especially the impact race plays in nearly every aspect of daily life in the U.S.—then you are just “trying to make white folks feel guilty for being white.”
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
#nojusticenopeace

7 comments:

Redeye said...

What do you mean by openly embracing being white? Please provide an example.

Anonymous said...

Wearing a proud to be white shirt in public.

Redeye said...

Is that all you have, wearing a proud to be white t shirt in public?

Brian said...

This article explains it far better than I could about the issues with anybody being proud about being white.

http://www.racefiles.com/2013/09/30/the-problem-with-white-pride/

Whites are told we should not be proud to be white but rather we should be proud to be Irish or French or German. I am 75% German. If I wore a "Proud to be White" T-Shirt, I would be seen as a racist because racist groups have used and still use that term. I'm not sure if being proud of my German hertitage is allowed because of World War I and World War II.

Redeye said...

You can tell if a person is a racist by the t shirt they wear?

Brian said...

No, but people will make assumptions rather than stop and talk with you to find out.

As the article I linked talks about, white power is associated with white supremacy. The term white power is inherently seen as racists unlike black power or brown power.

Redeye said...

I don't judge people by what they wear or don't wear. I judge people by their words and actions.