Twitter

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Back away from the Catnip!~Edit

I had to pray long and hard this morning before I began composing this post. I prayed to the God I serve to grant me the strength and wisdom to not to respond to the toxic, mean spirited, and some say racist, attack on Alabama State Senator Hank Sanders with the same toxic, vitriol. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

I started my day with excitement and purpose. Ready to hit the streets, the phones and yes the blogs in support of the candidates of my choice on primary election day. Per my routine, after I watch C-Span's Washington Journal and as much of the Talking TeeVee Pundit Heads on MSNBC and CNN as I can stand, I boot up my computer and click on Left in Alabama. My jaw and my heart dropped to floor when I read Ron Sparks Campaign Email Smells Up My Inbox-Is Davis Black or Not? which claims;
According to Senator Sanders, Davis - who previously wasn't black enough - is now trying to masquerade as black or pretend to be black or trade on his blackness or.... well you be the judge
There are also allegations to the effect Senator Sanders would be nowhere without [race]" or that he profits off of and/or plays the race card, and, allegations money is a major factor in who the ADC endorses.

I'm going to let you read the post and let you decide for yourself if you think it's racist or not, but the tone of this post sure is mean. Senator Hank Sanders has the same right (pun intended) to express his personal opinions and his personal endorsements of candidates as the Big Cats at Left in Alabama do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't defend/endorse/criticize elected officials and candidates, all I'm saying is do it without attacking those who don't share your opinion or your choice. Sparks and Davis are fair game, but their supporters are not. It's political not personal.

For example Sparks campaigning with Siegelman in--in church this
Sparks was introduced by former governor Don Siegelman, who was himself introduced by Rev. Gregory Clarke, previously convicted of tax fraud. It sounds a little bizarre:The battle for the Democratic Party nomination for governor was waged Sunday in black churches in Birmingham, where the two candidates looked for votes and one of them campaigned with two felons still popular among some of the churchgoers.

And sundog, I hope you're reading this because you made the following comment in reference to African Americans and former Governor Don Siegelman's endorsement of Ron Sparks although there is still no word on this from the Sparks campaign, but a number of folks think the letter is authentic ...
Siegelman is still revered amongst many African American voters. (4.00 / 1)
This is real. If he showed up at a church endorsing Sparks, he is probably helping raise money as well. Interestingly, I heard that the race had tightened up to 5 points. I will be stunned if Sparks win, but I now have to vote in the Democratic primary. I was considering voting in the Republican primary to defeat those I consider the most threatening to Democratic candidates. Now the tide has turned and I will do the right thing. Can't wait to vote for Artur.

FYI, Siegelmam isn't "revered amongst many African American voters" he is RESPECTED among many African American voters. And for those you who refer to former Governor Siegelman as a "convicted felon" I choose to call him a political prisoner.

Seriously, if the way Davis runs his campaign is any indication of the way he will govern, or,  if his supporters are an indication of the people he will hire in his administration,  there is no way I can vote for him IF he is the winner of the democratic primary.

Congressman Artur Davis made his choice.
Davis has shown that he is not loyal to his state party and its elected leaders, he is not loyal to those who get out and work in campaigns, and, when it really counted, he was not loyal to his president. It is no secret that Davis is the preferred opponent of the Republican Party. This may be because he will be the most easily defeated Democrat, or because he is the most Republican of the Democratic candidates.

Para quoting Dr. Joe Reed (fellow enemy of the Cats and Critters at Left in Alabama for not being a Davis supporter);
Instead of applauding Senator Hank Sanders for applying the same standards to a black candidate as a white candidate, and judging candidates based upon the content of their character and not the color of their skin, your post condemned him as though he had some obligation to support Davis. Senator Hank Sanders is decried as a "power broker" because he endorsed Ron Sparks, but check out the Left in Alabama endorsements complete with color pictures and numerous post to extol the virtues of Artur Davis. Does that make Left in Alabama a "power broker" too?

Well does it? And for the record, Senator Hank Sanders never said or implied Artur Davis wasn't black. Those are your words and thoughts, not his.

Congressman Artur Davis made his choice, now the voters will make theirs.

If we get off our Donkey's and vote for them they will win. Don't listen to the nattering, nay bobs of negativity who say liberal/progressives can't win.

What bluebearcat said in this excellent response and defense of Senator Hank Sanders;
No matter what happens tomorrow, someone is going to have to run against the GOP nominee in November. If Ron Sparks is the nominee, he is going to need Artur Davis supporters to win. If Artur Davis is the nominee, he is going to need people like Hank Sanders to win. Stuff like this makes that less likely.

Amen and Amen.

No comments: