Twitter

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Redeye's Bad, Awful Week in Review

I'm glad last week is over because it was a bummer. First of all the House and Senate passed the Obama Compromise and Obama signed it into law. Wham! Bam! Thank you Mam! I still have figured what the big hurry was. Yes I can, it was because the gop infused, media enabled Tea Party won again. I have the same sense of foreboding I had when Bush told us he was sending our troops to war because Saddam had tons and tons of WMD and he was about to use them on us. And we know how that turned out.
The coffee tastes more than a little bitter this morning. It is no sweet tea to see your worst political predictions come true.

I have been railing for the past five and a half years about the need for a coalition to come together to fight the complete corporate takeover of the American political system. Many people got off the couch and fought for the election of Barack Obama in 2008. It was a great victory and there is no doubt he is a better president than George W. Bush and certainly better than anything we could have hoped for from John McCain or Sarah Palin.

But thanks in part to the tea party morons, that election looks like one step forward, two steps back. Give me the Coffee Party any day.


With dems like these who the heck needs the gop?
I know that for Obama's critics the secret is that "he lead" or that he "show leadership" or that he "knock some heads" or whatever, but I think the roll call on the Bernie Sanders amendment should tell you all you need to know about the Democrats' resolve to hike taxes on rich people. Evan Bayh doesn't even have to worry about getting reelected and he still sided with the fat cats. Apparently, Democrats from Colorado or south of the Mason-Dixon line are supposed to be for low taxes on the wealthy that are paid for by raiding the Social Security Trust Fund. I'm not saying that the president is beyond criticism on this, but we ought to take a look at our own caucus. Manchin, McCaskill, the Nelsons, Herb Kohl...these people are not on our side.


Were we progressives punk'd again?
As soon as Obama’s candidacy was pronounced “viable” by the high priests of corporate media he became a figure of historical significance, a walking, talking racial “breakthrough.” African Americans saw the possibility of a brand new day – and so did Obama, although his vision was much closer to that of those whites who have tired of – or, more likely, always resented – Black demands for redress of grievances, past and present. Anyone that listened to Obama’s actual words (rather than the voices in their own heads) would have quickly realized that he is ideologically opposed to all manifestations of independent Black politics, much less notions of Black self-determination.
Lynchings are alive and well in 2010. And they said Senator Hank Sanders robo calls were "race baiting"?

Never in a million years did I think I would live to see a black man become President of the Divided States of America. Nor did I think I would live to see Jim Crow and lynching revived under the leadership of a black President either, but well there are some folks in America that are longing for those nostalgic days.


I thought President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder said they were going to put an end to Scotter Libby justice?

Why were lawyers in the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) willing to pursue political prosecutions against Don Siegelman, Paul Minor, and other Democrats during the George W. Bush years? Probably because they knew they could get away with it.


The only high point of this week was the repeal of DADT,which means our LBGT sisters and brothers can be who they are. The dems managed to block a filibuster, too bad they couldn't/wouldn't do it for the Obama compromise.

I am so thankful for the impending repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell; thankful to Harry Reid, thankful to Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, Scott Brown, Lisa Murkowski, George Voinovich, Mark Kirk for breaking with their party and supporting this law that will enshrine a new civil right for many of our brothers and sisters. Thankful to Rep. Patrick Murphy who introduced this bill in the House and was a tireless advocate for repeal.


I'm glad Rep.Patrick Murphy and all the others just didn't go along to get along and follow a rule they weren't fond of and fought for the things that ARE in the U.S. Constitution.

My point is that you have a great deal to add to the conversation. Use your posts, even if limited, to provoke serious discussion. If you wish to do a point - counterpoint routine, let me know and I will take the opposit side. Do not lessen your attributes by constanting carping about the rules. Sadly all of us must abide my rules we are not particularly fond of.


It looks likes meancat(s) have disabled my username so it looks like my limited comments have been revoked just like my front page privileges were in an attempt to put me in my place once and for all. Sorry, it doesn't work like that. Injustice everywhere is a threat to justice anywhere. Kathy said it best;
I do have a problem with people who don’t just disagree with the concerns expressed here and elsewhere but go a step further to trivialize them. They’re “silly”, and we’re “miserable” for considering them. That’s the same kind of silencing technique that has been used from time immemorial to dismiss the legitimate complaints of the oppressed. I don’t know about you, but I’m mighty glad that Susan B. Anthony and Martin Luther King didn’t listen to the people who told them that they should worry about more important things than women’s suffrage or civil rights.


Psst! I've just begun carpping about the unfair rules,discrimination and the anti liberal bullying at Left in Alabama.

See ya next week!

2 comments:

yellowdog said...

the best part of LiA is right here.

You have led me to so many liberal blogs and kindred spirits, I don't have time to waste with conservative-endorsing, liberal-bashing blogs that do not represent my interests.

Because of voices like Redeye's, I am not "left in Alabama", but one of many who are here who doesn't need to debate truth, fairness, equality, and justice.

There is no spectrum or middle between right and wrong. Redeye clearly reminds me of this fact.

Redeye said...

Thank you yellowdog. Your support means a lot to me. And you're correct, there is no middle between right and wrong. Left in Alabama was founded on the principle of connecting kindred sprits like ours, I don't understand what happened. Strike that, then Artur Davis happened.