Twitter

Thursday, January 28, 2010

State of the Union After Party!

To the dismay of the right wing and the talking teevee pundit heads, President Obama knocked it out of the ball park last night with his State of the Union address last night. He opened up a big ole can of whup a$$ on EVERYBODY from the cowardly dems to the Supreme 5. He kicked butt and took names. Now that's what I'm talking about! Accomplished.

SOTU Afterparty rundown;
Ta-Nehisi Coats says she just remembered Chris Matthews was white. This is what Matthews said about Obama;

I was trying to think about who he was tonight. It's interesting; he is post-racial, by all appearances. I forgot he was black tonight for an hour. He's gone a long way to become a leader of this country and past so much history in just a year or two. I mean it's something we don't even think about. I was watching and I said, wait a minute, he's an African-American guy in front of a bunch of other white people and there he is, president of the United States, and we've completely forgotten that tonight -- completely forgotten it. I think it was in the scope of the discussion, it was so broad ranging, so in tune with so many problems and aspects and aspects of American life. That you don't think in terms of the old tribalism and the old ethnicity. It was astounding in that regard, a very subtle fact. It's so hard to even talk about it. Maybe I shouldn't talk about it, but I am.

Crooks and Liars has an excellent run down of the republicans sitting on their thumbs during the SOTU. To paraquote my girl Rep. Maxine Waters(D CA), "Let them reveal themselves. Let them define themselves for who they really are." *Snicker*

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito must not have gotten the be nice memo. But I guess it's hard to be nice when someone is racking you over the coals. :)
Alito's reaction was a sharp break from the unwritten rule of Supreme Court etiquette at presidential addresses to Congress. Justices rarely applaud even the most uncontroversial of presidential remarks. None of the other justices in attendance tonight, including Chief Justice John Roberts and Anthony Kennedy, the author of the campaign finance opinion, showed any visible reaction while seated in the court's usual front row seats at the annual event.

That Obama is a bad mother shut your mouth. He told the dems to buck up, extended an olive branch to republicans (good luck with that) and opened a can on the Supreme Five and praised his wife in one smooth swoope. Samuel L. Jackson and Richard Roundtree don't have anything on him!

On a serious note, Howard Zinn died yesterday. In honor of
his memory agitate and organize. And remember, "dissent is the highest form of patriotism"

1 comment:

countrycat said...

President Obama was AWESOME. His speech brought tears to my eyes.

And the news of Howard Zinn's passing really made me sad. I homeschooled my daughter when she was in 6th grade and the "People's History of the United States" was one of our primary American history texts. He really changed the way many academics viewed and taught history.

I'll say kaddish for him tonight at synagogue.