Twitter

Friday, September 23, 2011

"Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing."

"Well, there's a certain mean spiritness that's out there, not only in Alabama but it's in America. And that makes this election extremely important."~Alabama State Senator Hank Sanders response to CNN's Anderson Cooper when asked what evidence he had that the Republican opponents would take Alabama back to Jim Crow days.

The prophetic words of Senator Sanders and the scripture of Luke haunt and console me in the after math of the state sponsored killings of Troy Davis in Georgia, Derrick Mason in Alabama, and Lawrence Brewer in Texas.

For the record, I oppose the death penalty under any circumstance. As a Christian I cannot decry the crucifixion of Christ, and support the death penalty. If Jesus were on earth today he wouldn't be nailed to a cross. He would be put to death by lethal injection, hanging, firing squad or the electric chair.

In the words of Coretta Scott King, the widow of murdered Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr."For too long we have treated violence with violence, and that's why it never ends."

At the time Anderson Cooper was asking Hank Sanders for evidence of things unseen, but over time Sanders prophecy is revealed.
They cheer at the thought of an uninsured person dying. They cheer at the thought of state-sponsored murder. In all, the 2012 Tea Party Republican debates have revealed that they are a death cult.

Some observers were shocked and surprised by the behavior of the Tea Party Republicans and their supporters during the primary debates. Others have complained that CNN's surrender of air-time to the Tea Party is a compromise of journalistic ethics. I would suggest to the latter that CNN performed a public service by providing a window into the Tea Party Republican soul. And to the former, there should be no surprise here: in the age of Obama, contemporary conservatism has surrendered to a virulent, dystopian and pathologically hyper-individualist state of nature, "all against many," type of populist right-wing ideology.


It's not being reported on TeeVee, but the audience at last night's gop Presidential debate booed a gay soldier. How mean is that?

I had no idea that the Constitution of the United States of America doesn't prohibit the execution of an innocent man/woman.
Beyond the emotional punch in the gut of Troy Davis' execution - and the echoing cheers of a GOP debate audience for Rick Perry killing so many people - it is worth remembering the role of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in the Davis affair.

Because it was during an appeal to the Supreme Court in 2009 on behalf of Davis that Scalia - and BuzzFlash is not making this up - actually wrote a dissenting opinion that there was nothing in the Constitution that prevented a state from executing an innocent man (or woman).


Quoting GrannyStandingforTruth
Never in a million years did I think I would live to see a black man become President of the Divided States of America. Nor did I think I would live to see Jim Crow and lynching revived under the leadership of a black President either, but well there are some folks in America that are longing for those nostalgic days.


I want to take the time to extend my sincere condolences to Troy Davis's family and friends. I will continue to pray for you and for the future of our country.

"Now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did your leaders.~Acts 3:17

6 comments:

Reggie said...

While I question the logic in putting Troy Davis to death, I can't say that I've ever agreed with our judicial system's use of the death penalty. Our judicial system (though I daresay is still the very best in the world) has it's flaws. Emotion and prejudice blind many of the jurors....it's a reality.

But I am still a staunch advocate of the death penalty and to be honest, I don't believe it's used anywhere in this country anywhere near as often as it should be. I'm not even going to attempt to justify this man's death.....I didn't agree with the sentence either. But I do believe in the process....even though it's flawed.

I wouldn't be bothered if 25 people a day in every state in this nation were put to death. I believe our prisons to be filled with scum and animals of all races. It's my belief that anyone that takes someone else's life or any person that molests a child should die.........period.

It's not a popular view in the blogosphere I know, but that's what I believe.

A nation our size shouldn't have millions of incarcerated people....it's ridiculous. That's far to many people to feed and take care of. We should be using that money doing something productive and not throwing good money after not so good resources.

Maybe it's time we changed some of the rules of our system to hold prosecutors and police more accountable for the lies they tell. Maybe those people should be subject to the death penalty as well?

FED UP said...

Like what you have to say Reggie!

Redeye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Redeye said...

Should read;
It would bother me if 25 people we're put to death every day because as sure a s#it stinks it be 25 black\brown folks put to death each day.

I don't adhere to the eye for an eye meme, and evidently the death penty doesn't deter criminals, it increases the body count.

Yes we have a flawed justice system that is operated by human beings, and as long as human beings like FED UP operate the system they will make mistakes.

I would rather 25 guilty people go free than 25 innocent people die.

Death is final and vengeance is mine sayeth Lord.

I know if I am having trouble sleeping at night I can only imagine what the executioners must be feeling.

May God have mercy on their souls.

FED UP said...

I have trouble sleeping at night when we let career criminals out to continue to commit acts of violence!

Again I ask you to look at the recidivism rate and then ask yourself are most career criminals rehabilitated? NO!

If you do not want to be on death row do not commit a crime that will put you there! I for one believe child molesters and rapist should be put on death row. There should be no sex offender registration list!

Redeye said...

I have trouble sleeping at night knowing the TeaPublicans are in control of our government.