Twitter

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Always the Help, never an Equal Redux




Here we go again.  Black folks from President Obama ,to Huntsville City Councilman Richard Showers,  to RedEye still find ourselves being put in our place when we get uppity in post racial America.  Some people will look at the above picture and say nothing is wrong with Gov. Jan Brewer (r. AZ) actions. I submit if an African American elected official did the same to pResident Bush they would have been shot on site, or whisked off to Gitmor for some Water Boarding, or worse. Snark

Sunday's Must Read h/t my friend JB, who said it was a teachable moment for this honkie
Excerpt:
Usually, my blog posts deal with African American community or political issues, and I talk as one cultural insider to another cultural insider.However, I’ve realized that sometimes, well-meaning, really nice White people (of which there are many, by the way) want Black folks to talk to them in non-angry, non-confrontational, and patient ways about Black cultural issues they don’t understand.
So I wondered if it might be useful for me to write blog posts that break racial things down for good White folks who mean no harm—and who either have Black friends or are in the midst of acquiring friendships with Black people– and are just trying to navigate these racial waters that ironically (and to me, bewilderingly) have become far more treacherous since the election of our first Black president.
 It was the unofficial law of “reckless eyeballing” created by White southerners, and many a southern Black man swung at the end of a rope for committing that supposed crime. The case of Emmitt Till was a variation of “reckless eyeballing,” because he whistled at a White woman and ended up murdered.
The Help, chapter 7, page 95
"I feel that bitter seed growing inside me, the one planted after Treelore died I want to yell so loud that Baby Girl can hear me that dirty ain't a color, disease ain't Negro side of town. I want to stop that moment from coming--and it come in every white child's life-when they start to think that colored folks ain't as good as whites."
 Knowledge is Power.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo! I love this. Its short and to the point. My post on this bitch was a tad 'wordy'. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I appreciate your kindness more than you probably realize.

Redeye said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog also! Don't be a stranger! BTW I loved your "tad 'wordy' post on ahem topic.