Twitter

Monday, June 3, 2013

Dear Dr. Reed, can we talk?

Dear Dr. Reed.

You don't know me, and I only know you by reputation,  but in light of the present state of the Alabama Democratic Party  I think maybe it's time for you to bow out gracefully . Not because of anything you've done, or not done, to contribute to the present circumstances, but, because of who you are, and what you represent.

It appears  a majority of the members of the Alabama Democratic Party honestly believe you are the de facto head of the Alabama Democratic Party,  and, as long as you have control of it, there will be no viable Democratic Party in Alabama. The best we will get is a zombie.    Accordingly, no one in their right mind is going to step up and lead the Alabama Democratic Party under those circumstances. The way I see it, you can either step up to the plate and be the leader in every sense of the word,  or, step down and let someone else take over.

 I know you believe the leader of the ADP needs to be a white male/female if we are going to have any chance of attracting white people back,  because  white's won't participate  if a black man is in charge, and you might be right (no pun), since you are the reason white's left in the first place.  But you know what...if they can't stand a person of color being in charge...are they really democrats?  And, if they can't tolerate a black man being in charge, there is no sense in us (collective) hanging around to be marginalized, minimized, and tolerated,  just for show.

There is the perception among whites  the Alabama Democratic Party is the party of blacks because the Democratic Party has done more for black folks than anyone else.  Translation, blacks want the government to give us free stuff because the government owes us a living.   In any event, the status quo have decided you are no longer effective and it's time for you to go somewhere, sit your Ebony Donkey down, and take your cheerleaders (which include me and mine) with you.

We are going to have to forgive them because they can't help their paternalism.
  White paternalism is the belief that whites know what is best for people of other races, viewing them pretty much as overgrown children. It is racist since it assumes that whites know better than other races.
Yes, they know what is best for black folks They know who is best to lead black folks..  They will tell us when it's racism, or someone is being racist. Or not.  It sounds to me like the white wing of the ADP wants to take care of black folks instead of the blacks folks wanting to be taken care of.  But I digress.

My Daddy always told me never stay where you aren't welcome.  If you are no longer welcome in the Alabama Democratic Party then none of us are welcome.  I don't know where I belong but I'll be moving on.   Maybe it's time for you to do the same.

 Let them have the Alabama Democratic Party.  We didn't leave the Alabama Democratic Party, the Alabama Democratic Party left us.   I don't know about you, but from now on I'm voting for the candidate who shares my  interest,  and upholds all of the issues you dedicated your life fighting for, regardless of what party they belong to.  I will no longer vote for the lessor of two evils because well...... it's still evil.

 "When you talk about the law discriminating, the law granting a privilege here, and a right here and denying it there, that's a civil rights issue. And I can't take that away from anybody." - Rev. Joseph Lowery


Sincerely,
RedEye

No comments: