Twitter

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fox News and Me, All Hate All the Time, UNfair and UNbalanced

If I ever doubted Fox News negative influence on our society I don't after today and the degree of the hate, lies and division in our country I don't after what happened to me today at a local Chevron Gas Station.

I frequent this particular Chevron station because they are one of the few full service gas stations. Meaning they pump your gas, check under your hood and wipe your windshield. Yeah you pay a little more, but when you're dressed to the nines heading to a function the last thing you want to do is pump gas. Today I decided to save a couple of pennies and pump my own gas, which meant I had to go inside to pay the attendant. Two women were inside watching television tuned to Fox News where the Talking TeeVee Pundit Heads were discussing, strike that, defending Juan William and bashing NPR for firing him because of his remarks about Muslims.
NPR has fired senior news analyst Juan Williams, who also appears as a commentator on Fox News, for comments about Muslims that Williams made in an appearance with Bill O’Reilly.

As Fox News reported it:

“I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country,” Williams told host Bill O’Reilly during a discussion on the dilemma between fighting jihadists and fears about average Muslims.

“But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they’re identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous,” Williams said.


The woman who swiped my card said, and I quote, "I don't blame him, I wouldn't want to sit next to a rag head on an airplane either."

I looked up from signing my receipt and we silently stared at each other for some long, uncomfortable seconds. I couldn't decide if I should say something or not. If I did say something what could I say? How I wish I could have made them take every drop of gasoline out of my tank. We continued to stare at each other without blinking. I finally broke the stare, politely said "Thank you" and left vowing never to spend another penny at that Chevron station again. I don't care if it's the last gas station on earth and it's pouring down raining and I'm about to run out of gas. I've notified my off spring and other immediate family members they are not to patronize the station either. The fact the woman felt comfortable making that comment to my face then daring me to say something about it speaks volumes about the state of race relations in this city, county, state and country. I won't get into the Juan Williams controversy, but the usual suspects wasted no time chiming in;
At Andrew Breitbart’s Big Government site, the headline is “Screw Free Speech, NPR Fires Juan Williams for Muslim Remarks.” Williams’ fellow Fox News contributor, Sarah Palin, just tweeted to the effect that “NPR defends 1st Amendment Right, but will fire u if u exercise it. Juan Williams: u got taste of Left’s hypocrisy, they screwed up firing you.”


The Talking TeeVee Pundit Heads scare me. They are predicting people who think like Andrew Breitbart and Sarah Palin are going to control Congress after the midterm elections. Let the polling pollsters tell it, the majority of the American people think the country is headed in the wrong direction. If they are right (no pun) and this is true. I weep for my city, my county, my state and my country.

Meanwhile Juan Williams is laughing all the way to the bank..
Even though he was fired from NPR, Juan Williams won't have to worry about keeping a roof over his head. The Los Angeles Times reported that Fox News has signed Williams to a new, three-year, $2 million contract. He will have an expanded role on the network and will write a column for FoxNews.com.


Bill Reilly and Newt Gingrich are calling on congress to investigate NPR. Ain't that a dip?

NPR is facing a storm of criticism for its decision to fire Juan Williams after his comments about Muslims on Fox News, with several prominent conservatives calling for NPR's government funding to be cut and refusing to appear on the network anymore.

Speaking on Fox News, both Bill Reilly and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich called for Congress to investigate NPR and cut its government funding in the wake of Juan Williams' firing from the organization.


Faux News, we distort what you decide.
Lord help us.
Turn off Fox!
VOTE!

No comments: