Twitter

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Who will CD7 Representative Terri Sewell support for Minority House Whip?

Full disclosure- I am not a resident of CD7, however I have friends and family who live and work in CD7, therefore I care about CD7. I was a strong supporter of Sewells' opponent Sheila Smoot in the democratic primary because I believed Smoot to be the most experienced, and I believed the voters in CD7 deserved real liberal (not to be confused with progressive) representation after 8 years of Artur Davis. My opposition to Rep. Sewell was always political, never personal. She is a very nice, accomplished young lady from a good family. I congratulate her on her win and wish her well.

The first test Rep. Terri Sewell will face is deciding who she will support for Democratic House Minority Whip....Rep. Steney Hoyer, who raised campaign cash for her, or, Rep. Jim Clyburn, who didn't raise campaign cash for her, and is an influential member of the Congressional Black Caucus, which I assume Rep. Sewell will become a member.

The elephant in the room is not ideology, but race. No one can deny that the Democrats have a problem with white voters. Making the face of the party more black is a concern for people who are worried about regaining the support of whites for the 2012 elections.


Therein lies Terri Sewells' dilemma. But it's not about Sewell, it's about the voters in CD 7.
I hope you live up to the words and legacy of my Sorority Sister and not the legacy of your predecessor who voted against health care reform, the hate crimes bill, resigned from the house judiciary committee to run for Governor and was an apologist for some racist actions. Shirley Chisholm was a true, proud LIBERAL who spoke truth to power, unbossed and unafraid.


I agree with Booman;
I think we need to confront the issue of race head-on. Race is not a reason to prefer Hoyer over Clyburn. When it comes to ideology, Clyburn isn't the most progressive progressive. He does represent South Carolina, after all. When it comes to issues like Social Security, I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between Clyburn and Hoyer. So, I think the ideological distinction is a bit overblown.


I also agree with rikyrah;
Clyburn is in your face without seeming to be the 'Angry Black Man.' In addition, he has consistently had this President's back.
Hoyer is a weasel, plain and simple, and wouldn't hesitate to stab the President on national tv. Give me Clyburn.

F$#K THE BLUE DOGS, and I mean that.


I know you promised not be a rubber stamp for President Obama but what about what the voters in the heavily Democratic 7th district want? Who will you represent in Congress? Remember the reason you are the first African American female representative from Alabama is because of them there gerrymandered districts. Please don't lose site of this fact like your predecessor and vote against the interest of the people for your personal, political gain.

Representative Sewell, my big REDEYE will be trained on you like a laser beam. Remember it's not about YOU, it's about the voters of the 7th district. I HOPE and PRAY you prove me wrong, not for MY sake, but for the sake of the the 7th district, ...

The voters in the heavily democratic 7th district want you to have President Obama's back, not stab him in the back. Been there. Done that.

I'm just saying...

No comments: